Thursday, June 23, 2016

Finished - Rainbow diamonds

Rainbow diamonds is done!  In time for my June goal and in time to give to the baby the first time we see her.


I made this out of HSTs, although now that I look at it I'm not sure why I didn't do log cabin type blocks.  Probably because I was playing around with HSTs and this is what happened.

My youngest and I went for a walk to get pictures while the oldest was in a class.  I saw a park on the map, so thought I'd check it out.  It turned out to be a rather large cemetery.  We walked around for about ten minutes before we found the unused portion of the cemetery where I could take some pictures.

I really like the colors on this one.  Bright and cheery.  Besides the white and two of the colors, I was able to find the rest of the colors in the fabric I already had.  They include Kona white, Evening, Citrus, Corn, Sour Apple, Pomagranate, Mulberry, Ochre, Lagoon, Water, Grasshopper, Camellia, Primrose, and a few others from before I labeled carefully.


I used a minky on the back and sateen for binding.  I really like this backing...it's soft and cute, with butterflies and Eiffel towers.

For the quilting I used a swirly pantograph.  It's been a while since I've used a pantograph, so I wanted to do it again.  It definitely went better than in the past...I've learned that the flow of the machine is more important than staying right on the line.  It quilted up very quickly, although the edges were a pain; I kept getting them mangled.  I'm sure I'll use pantos again, but still like free-motion better.


On our way back we came across a fountain and I couldn't resist just one more picture.

Also linking up with Finish It Up Friday, TGIFF, Fabric Tuesday and Sew Cute Tuesday.

15 comments:

  1. The quilt is gorgeous! I love the bright colors with the white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky baby. Cute quilt with nice contrast to exercise baby eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt is so cheery! Like a modern rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty! I can't believe its HST's! I can't see them in the design! Great job making a very interesting quilt. The high contrast is perfect for a baby, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on a lovely finish which is bold and beautiful and bright.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun quilt! Congrats on a finish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the bright colors you used for this quilt! It's perfect for a baby. I really like your photo shoot pics. It's a great location.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely colourful finish her e- I am sure it will be treasured by the child for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your photos of the quilt. You've inspired me to want to be more creative when taking photos of my quilts

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I found you on Sew Cute Tuesday. Your diamond quilt is a real winner. The colors and the spacing with plenty of white make each one stand out. Lucky baby and mother!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great finish Amanda! I love Rainbow Diamonds, it is so bright and cheerful, yet it looks cuddly too. love love love the yellow binding! Bet you are looking forward to meeting the babe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting...I love seeing what you have to say!